Canada Pension Plan (CPP)
Were you were born in the years 1947 to 1951? If you have not retired yet, you should pay particular attention to four changes to the Canada Pension Plan (CPP).
The changes became law on December 15, 2009. Most take effect in 2012. Some workers born in the 1947-1951 years might wish to start drawing CPP retirement benefits before 2012 to have the old rules apply. Most may prefer the new rules.
Canadian Pension Plan
Finance Minister Jim Flaherty appears to be backtracking on his support for an expanded Canada Pension Plan (CPP) in the lead up to the finance ministers meeting Dec. 19 and 20 in Alberta.
Instead of making higher CPP benefits the top priority, Flaherty wants to create a pooled private RRSP system which is bad for Canadians—but good for Canadian banks and mutual fund companies.
We need your help. Canadians don't need the banks and financial industry getting another opportunity to gouge them out of their hard earned savings. We need leadership from our governments. Please visit CUPE's online action centre to send one final message to Prime Minister Stephen Harper and Finance Minister Jim Flaherty, reminding them doubling CPP is the best and most efficient way to help Canadians save more for their retirement and solve the pension crisis - and please share this message with your friends and co-workers.
You may seek assistance for your claim from: Unemployed Workers Help Centre in Saskatoon
The Unemployed Workers Help Centre
The UWHC is an independent community-based organization with offices in Regina and Saskatoon which provide information and advocacy services for Employment insurance claimants.
The services are open to everyone in need and no fees are charged for any service.
Funding is provided by grants from the Government of Saskatchewan and Saskatchewan trade unions.
Manulife Financial Website: Click Here
Phone Number: 1-800-268-6195
Group Policy Number: 22746
Certificate Number: Your Employee Number (found on monthly pay statement).
Municipal Employees' Pension Plan
Phone Number: 1-877-506-6377
The following MEPP documents are available:
- MEPP Matters Winter 2016
- 2012-01-22 Commission Activity Report Update Q4
- MEPP Trade Union Contacts 2012-13
- Commission Activity Report Update Q1 2012
- Commission Activity Report Update Q2 2012
- Jan 1, 2010 - Jan 1, 2011 MEPP Rate Increase
- MEPP Commission Activity Report Update 3rd Qrt (09-30-2011)
- How New CPP Rules Affect You
- January 1, 2010 and January 1, 2011 MEPP Rate Increase
- MEPP Commission Activity Report 2009 Final (01-15-2009)
- MEPP Commission Activity Report Update 1st Qrt 2010 (04-16-2010)
- MEPP Commission Activity Report Update 2nd Qrt 2009 (09-18-2009)
- MEPP Commission Activity Report Update 3rd Qrt 2009 (11-26-2009)
- MEPP Commission Report (09-2007)
- MEPP Contact List
- MEPP Pension Plan Report (01-18-2007)
- MEPP Plan Changes
- MEPP Presentation (02-2008)
- MEPP Recommendations to Government (11-10-2008)
- MEPP Update for Division Convention (03-08-2010)
- MEPP Contributions Article